Monday, November 27, 2006

Straight From My Butt

I’m embarrassed to say that I did the final two-thirds of page 18 on Sunday afternoon and evening (the day I posted it to the website). I did the middle three panels on Friday, and then tried doing the top panel on Saturday, but I didn’t like it very much (the top panel that is). So, I basically did the top and the bottom of the page all on Sunday.

Of course, all of Thursday and much of Saturday were taken up with Thanksgiving festivities. Earlier in the week, I was doing other things that have perked my imagination more of late. One was my pen and paper RPG, which is coming along pretty well (all the skills are done and now I’m going to work on the abilities). Also, I downloaded a game builder from Garage Games. It has a 30-day free trial, so I was playing around with that.

This all means I was left with hardly any time to work on my comic, and I feel in some way guilty for it. I feel like I pulled much of page 18 out of my ass at the last minute, and perhaps that shows in the final product of the page. Not sure if that’s true, but that’s how I felt about.

I was happy about one of the panels I did Sunday, however. It shows Magnus looking down at the Gordian he had just killed, along with a quote from Sgt. Black, “Don’t pity the men you kill; they’re the lucky ones.” I made the panel by first rendering Magnus and the Gordian, and then rendering the ground. That allowed me to add extra shadow to Magnus and the Gordian. I like how it looks. It seems a little more 3D to me. Judge for yourself:


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:42 PM

    Hey! I got some time, finally -- and read through 'Magnus' Archives.

    The story and the character has a lot of potential. Storyboarding is good and clear with some exceptional panels (the guy with a bullet trough the brain thing -- good paneling!).

    You know I'm a fan of dramatic lightening: I'd give some of the scenes a different light (but I've just discovered the joys of Poser6 and IBL lights, I may be biased).

    Anyway, keep up the great work, I'll be checking for updates... Or just count me in for the newsletter;)

    ReplyDelete