Sunday, March 29, 2009

Scent of Decay

Besides putting the final touches on Monster Menagerie, I’ve been doing research for the next supplement, an adventure module called Scent of Decay. It has a very Lovecraft/Night Gallery feel to it, combining both horror and science fiction. Without ruining the surprise, it includes zombies, but with a sci-fi twist. It’s actually a concept I’ve thought about for many years, but this is the first time I’ve gotten a chance to actually use it.

The adventure revolves around a missing fiancée, or to be more exact, her dead body. Her father (a retired admiral) and her fiancé (a talented scientist) hire the characters to find her and bring the body snatchers to justice. In the process, the players will discover that the fiancée was not the only cadaver stolen, which leads to an even deeper mystery.

Yesterday and today I did a couple renders for the father and fiancé (see below). The father was especially tricky because my usual “sketch” style of art didn’t work very well since it made his wrinkles disappear (making him look younger than I wanted). So, I had to resort to some photoshop tricks, which I’m not entirely happy with. On the other hand, I think the fiancé came out pretty well. He’s an egotistical scientist who thinks he’s god’s gift to the universe (much like myself).

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:12 PM

    Clearly the fiancé is the evil mastermind behind all the bodies disappearing. The evil Spock facial hair gives it away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can see, Evil Spock had a full goatee. Thus your assessment is wrong, wrong, WRONG!! ;-)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror,_Mirror_(TOS_episode)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:43 AM

    *sigh* Fine... then it's... it's... Anthony Ainley as The Master facial hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, he DOES look like the Master. Drats!

    ReplyDelete