Saturday, August 26, 2006

New Plot Idea

We moved into our new apartment a week ago today. However, we have not had any internet access (or phone service). I could get a cable modem instead of DSL, but I already had a contract with AT&T and cable modems are more expensive. Yes, I’m a cheap bastard. Anyway, we’re supposed to get it all hooked up today, but if that doesn’t happen, I may blow my top.

I haven’t worked on the new comic at all. I’ve tried a couple of times over the last week, but either my brain or my eyes have been too tired due to my long working hours in front of the laptop. However, I have done a little work for a coworker who asked me to do a website to sell his poetry book. It’s not a very big site, so it shouldn’t take too long and it’ll be good experience for me.

While “Born in the Grave” currently sits idle for a little while, I’ve also been thinking about other stories. One, which is tentatively entitled “Dead to Me,” is based on a historic story I heard many years ago. It’s about a man who gives his son to someone in exchange for a chest full of gold with the stipulation that he’d get the son back when he pays back the gold. Instead, when the debt comes due, the man says the other guy can keep the son since he has the hammer (himself) and anvil (his wife) to make another. I was thinking about the plot and it occurred to me that I didn’t want to write another father-son story, but I realized that if I changed the genders, it would make for a more interesting (and perhaps controversial) plot. In other words, instead of a father and son, it would be a mother who had given up her own daughter. I’m still thinking about the details, but it might have enough pathos to be a good plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment