Thursday, December 02, 2004

My process

I began working on the story about a month ago, shortly before canceling the Imperium Online project. Since then, I've been assembling the pages (5 so far) by doing renders in Poser and touchup in Photoshop. This is basically the process:

  1. For each scene, I write a rough script for the dialogue. Mind you, this can change a bit, but I try to touch on the important ideas at least.
  2. Next, I try to do some basic blocking (ie: arranging) of how the different panes/panels will appear on the page.
  3. Having a general idea of how things will appear, I start setting up the scene in Poser itself. This involves creating the individual characters separately and then importing them into the scene. For example, the first scene takes place in the Emperor's Study. Besides setting up the Study, I needed to setup the two characters (they're physical appearance, including costumes), the Emperor and his advisor Kalidas.
  4. After importing the characters, I begin to look at the camera angles I want to use that would best fit with the pane shapes & sizes I want.
  5. Finally, I start doing renders. I really had a lot of problems with this at first as I began to learn more about the limitations of my computer's RAM. Rendering in Poser is very computer intensive, and I was pulling my hair out a lot until I reduced the resolution a bit and learned a few tricks. Keep in mind that I am largely self taught, so I assume there are easier/better ways of using Poser. However, I'm doing my best to learn along the way.
  6. After the renders are done, I open them in Photoshop and do any necessary touchup. I also add a border onto each pane and add dialogue balloons.
  7. Finally, I prepare the page for being uploaded to the website. This involves splitting the page up into sections so your browser doesn't need to download one big image.
  8. Upload images to website (which I haven't done yet).
After I get the first chapter done, I plan to upload it to my imperiumonline.com website (after redoing the site). This will allow anyone to view the story for free, anywhere in the world. Of course, this doesn't mean anyone will actually look at it, but who knows? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment