Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Chapter 13 Online!

I published chapter 13 yesterday. As I’ve said, this is the climatic chapter of the story, although I still have the Epilogue to complete before the story is really finished.

I have mixed feelings about this last chapter. On the one hand, it was an emotional experience, especially when I was writing Lady Sophia’s last words. However, I’m not satisfied with it in general. Some of that is my usual low self-esteem or lack of confidence, but I just can’t help but think that it could’ve been better. I don’t think the dialogue is very good (especially in the second half) and, even at 20 pages (which is the longest of the story), I feel that the pacing too rushed. On the other hand, I still have the Epilogue to tie up loose ends.

Today I was also experimenting with lighting for the next story, Magnus Black: Born in the Grave. I would like to use light and shadow more effectively this time to give the story greater atmosphere. I would also like to improve the writing too: perhaps by taking more time and by doing more drafts. In another change, I will be publishing the story page by page (perhaps two or three pages a week) instead of publishing it by chapters. In fact, Magnus Black will not have chapters since it will be far shorter than Alexander the Prince.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:15 PM

    Hey, heartfelt congrats on completing your epic piece. Just finishing a story is an achievement, and finishing one of this length and quality puts you among the select few who really complete their projects, as opposed to talk and talk and talk!!! Fine, tragic ending, rousing duel and Machiavellian intrigue - a very satisfying closing chapter to the saga. I may not agree with your storytelling style - personally, I try to tell as much as quickly as possible, while you take a more leisurely, movie-ish approach; but I have to admit that it works great, and allows the story to grow on the reader.

    As to constructive criticism (take what's useful, if any *LOL*), I'd suggest slightly more bright light and deep shadows on your next effort, and maybe a wider "palette" of expressions (lots of'em on the market, take it from me, I rarely "pose" a face myself). But this is mostly nit-picking, you have a very effective storytelling style going already.

    And hey - IS she going to marry that poor fool? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind comments. I appreciate that you read the whole thing. Now if I could only get my wife to do the same! ;-)

    There’s still an Epilogue left for Alexander, although I haven’t started it yet. As for Lucy and Lt. Burke, I think I’ll leave that as a mystery so people can make up their own story. Do they run off together, or does she simply bludgeon him to death? We may never know . . .

    Thanks again!

    William

    ReplyDelete