Thursday, January 08, 2009

People Love Free Stuff!!

I put the Imperium Grab Bag on DriveThruRPG a few days ago and it’s been “selling” like hot cakes. Who knew that giving away free stuff would be so popular? It’s a good way to create awareness about my game, but only if people actually buy my game as a result. Right now that’s still an open question.

The deck plans I’ve been working on lately are going very well. I’ve completed three so far (Rapier Class Fighter, Ballista Class Missile Boat, and a Rambler Class Freighter) and I’m currently working on a fourth: Daemon Class Merchant Raider (all from Chapter 8 of the Basic Rules). So far, the deck plans have been pretty symmetrical, but I’d really like to throw in one or two asymmetrical ones just to irritate people like my Wife whose Germanic heritage rails against anything without right angles.

Here’s one of the deck plans (the Missile Boat):
In the review I mentioned in the last post, the writer commented on one of the problems that goes with the 3e d20 rules: namely that high level characters have such high skill values that most rolls become a joke. With that in mind, I’ve been thinking about modifying the skill rules a little to help alleviate some of that problem. Instead of putting an unlimited number of ranks (although capped by the current XP level) into a particular skill, I’d like to divide each skill into five “tiers”, each worth a +2 modifier. Each tier would cost skill points (first tier equals one point, second tier costs two points, etc.) up to the fifth tier, which would act as a cap (giving the character a maximum of +10 for that skill). Also, characters could only buy one tier per XP level. In other words, after reaching a new XP level, the player could only buy the next tier for a skill (not multiple tiers). Anyway, it’s just an idea for now, but I’m looking at ways I can improve the game moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment