Tuesday, January 27, 2009

To Bite or Not to Bite

Perhaps it’s fitting that on a dark and dreary day I’ve been thinking more about the Dökk. I wrote this quick blurb: “Some view the Dökk as only myth, but seasoned starfarers know that the black ships of the Shadow Fleet are all too real.” I picture them appearing without warning out of the abyss of space to attack vessels, and then disappearing again before help can arrive. I would like there to be some mystery about them, such as where they come from and their relation to the Dahl race. I thought about perhaps Dahl explorers who got cut off from the rest of their people and devolved into something sinister.

As you can see from the render in my previous post (and the new one below), they have vampire-like teeth. I don’t want the Dökk to be actual vampires (i.e.: undead), but I like the idea of them needing to drink blood. Instead of living underground (which is typical of dark elves in literature and games), my Dökk would live predominately in space, either in their ships or on a hidden space station (orbiting a dead planet). It’s a fact that animals that live without much sunlight have trouble producing red blood cells (and hemoglobin). Perhaps that’s why the Dökk would need to attack ships -- to feed on new victims.

I also picture them has using stealth a lot (including their ships). They would be adept at attacking from hiding (in space and on land), and then escaping. Due to their lack of hemoglobin, they would tend to be weaker than even their Dahl brethren, so they would need to pick their battles well to avoid injury or death.

Again, these are the thoughts I’m having (although I may want to turn on my Daylight lamp before I sink my teeth into the Wife’s neck). ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment